Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Diary of An Old Man - II

 

In the meantime, I met my future wife at a party, she came from Colombo Sri Lanka we decided to get married in August 1960. After a while we needed more money so I opted for a clinic in Birmingham owned by a Polish Dental Mechanic, he needed a qualified Dentist to run the place.

There we rented a three-bedroom flat sharing with two friends, one of them left soon. So, I asked Baba to come and stay with us. He came reluctantly as he did not approve of our marriage. At the end, he stayed with us for about six months. On July26th my eldest son was born, he was very happy to have another grandson.

Next day lunch time I went with a friend and bought a car a 2nd hand Ford Consul. Baba was upset because my left eye was bad I can only to see properly through one eye. Baba did not want me to drive but I have been able to drive for 53 years without any trouble till I damaged my right eye in 2011.But still managed with my limited vision to drive till 2014.

1961 I bought a dental surgery in Blackheath Birmingham. My income increased considerably so I bought a three-bedroom house in Edgbaston Birmingham and named it Probashi. 1964 in January my second son was born .1965 I decided to return to India so I sold the house. But the person who was to buy my surgery had a heart attack and died. Unable to accompany them my two sons and my wife went for a holiday to India and Sri Lanka. During their trip my second son picked up a stomach infection. So, they had to stay back for longer period and Pratap was operated by my father-in-law’s friend Dr Bartholomew. By then my third son Amal was born. They returned to Birmingham when Amal was 7 weeks old. Soon I found a customer who bought my surgery and sold it. Then decided to buy another surgery in London and we all moved back to London. Now I started staying in a rented house where my daughter was born I found a three- bedroom house with a big Garden in Hampstead Gardens. It was upper middle class area. Most of our Asian friends could not believe I being an Indian was allowed to buy a house where there were no Asian or African.

We were welcomed by all our neighbours. So, I started a monthly get together on the 1st Saturday of the month. As long as we were there the get together continued with the immediate neighbours.

End of 1968 Jaggin Sharma came to visit me as he was working in Golders Green. He asked me how to buy a surgery so, I said if you want you can buy my surgery. He agreed, so I sold it to him and sold the house also and returned to Calcutta to my father’s house in 1969.Baba asked what I planned to do so I said I am looking for a place in Chowringhee area to start a clinic. Next morning it was a Sunday Baba saw an advert in the Statesman that on Harrington Street there is a flat which is attached to Harrington Nursing Home owned by the owner of the Nursing Home. I telephoned the owner Subhol Bhur and met him with a friend of mine who always already practicing in Park Street. He being older and more experience did the talking, at the end I asked person if he was the owner, he said no he was the manager. My answer was I want to talk to the owner. He took me to the office Mr Bhur asked my friend what he exactly wants, then I told him he is not looking for the flat it is for me. So, he turned to me and said you look too young to be practising for 12 years in the UK. So, he asked why did you refuse to discuss the matter with the manager. I told him I do not like to having agreement with subordinates. He seemed to be pleased with my attitude. I took the flat from the 1st of the next month. But my equipment did not come for another three months. I had to wait till mid-June 1969 to start my clinic. Mr Bhur took a lively interest so he gave me a list of Doctors whom I invited for the opening ceremony they were all well-known Doctors of Calcutta including some Europeans. My first patient was Dr Kripa Mitra he wanted that I see him as a 1st patient as he is a lucky man so I will carry the luck an insisted on paying for the treatment. His wife also a Doctor could not come but invited me to her place next day, Bimala di was a wonderful host.

My party was a real success as quite a few Doctors became very close friends for life. Name a few Dr Adi Gazdar, Dr Rajan Wats, Dr N.K. Paul, Dr Tom Chowdhury, Dr N.K. Ghosh, Dr Subir Chatterjee and Dr Satyan Bose. Mr Bhur was very pleased and decided to give a party in his house to a number of his well know friends in Calcutta so the Upper class of Calcutta Society will accept me. As Gopal da told me when I started there is always room at the top. Adi and Rajan were consultants to British and American Consulate they both introduced me to both Consulates. When they started coming soon most the Executives from foreign companies started visiting my clinic. Soon other consulate like German, Russian, Japanese Italian etc.

Next I was invited to the Queen’s Birthday Party at the British High Commission and American Consulate for Independence Day celebrations. After that I never had to look back. Next I thing, I had join a well know club So I applied for a membership of Calcutta Club. I applied for membership of Calcutta Club Sachinda a family friend and Dr U.S. Mallick my ex principal introduced me as a member. In 1971 I joined the club with a bit of help from my Uncle C.P.Mukherjee as the normal waiting list was 5 years, I got in two years .After joining the club my wife was really happy so she could meet more people and make friends also use the library of the club which was well known for its collection. Also on holiday she could take the children for a swim and have tea and snacks there and I would collect them in the evening after my clinic is closed life became more pleasant.

Twice or thrice a week in the evening we started getting together a group of friends with their wives and stayed on quiet late sometimes till the bar closed at 11pm.

In 1969 when I went to admit Prabir to St Lawrence where I had written from London. But the principal did not realise that Prabir knew no Bengali and up to class V the medium of teaching was Bengali or Hindi. I had to find another school where they taught in English so the principal gave me a letter to the Principal of Don Bosco School in Park Circus he was an Italian. He asked me bring the boy and his school report from his school in London. I took him with his old-school report. The Principal met him and saw the report, then said they haven’t given him any marks so I said you may not know in the U.K.in the report they mention good, bad or mediocre. But Prabir’s report says excellent for his knowledge of English, Maths, History and his behaviour. So, he said can you bring him back another day so I said no, he is not for sale you being the Principal, do not know after seeing him whether you can accept him in Class 2. I am sorry I will ask my wife to start a school in Calcutta as she is a teacher. My brother in law Dr Banerjee was with me he got very worried. Principal looked at me for a second then opened a drawer and handed me a form to fill in and handed me a list of Books to be Purchased.

Next day I got hold of a second-hand Ambassador car with the help of Lakshmi Narayan Chatterjee who is a cousin of my brother in law. So I decided to visit my old college to meet my old friends, now it has changed its name to Dr R Ahmed Dental College after the demise of Dr R.Ahmed as was the founder of the college .There I met Prasanto Bose Vice Principal he introduced me to the Principal Dr Das who immediately offered me a job there as an assistant Professor on condition I cannot practice outside with a non-practicing allowance Rs 1500/- I said I have a family of four children so I can’t live with that salary. Next question have you arranged the schooling for your children, you must go through the backdoor by paying a bribe or else you won’t get your children admitted to a good school. So I told him I am a Calcuttan if it is so difficult I will ask my wife to start a school, that was the last encounter with the principal. Then Prasanto asked me to go to the main hospital to meet the other contemporary dentists like Shankar, Koley, Roychoudhury, and others who were known to me during my school days after that day I started visiting the hospital very often after dropping Prabir to school. . After that Prabir and myself went to Sri Lanka where my wife and younger three Children were staying with my in laws. Next evening we went to Ambalangoda we wanted to have some Western food they offered soup ,roast lamb and sweet soup.The soup was very hot with chillie then came the lamb dipped in chillie sauce .My children could not eat it so the bearers came to ask if they want sweet Prabir said do not put chillie in it at last they could eat something

Prabir had a problem with his Bengali script so I asked Khokon a cousin of mine who was doing of mine who was doing his M.A in history to teach Bengali to Prabir so he took the challenge and taught him Bengali through the Roman script in later life he learnt Hindi, Tamil, Alchiki (Santali) he is good with languages. The Junior School Principal nick named him Professor as he had the right answers for any general knowledge questions. The Lady thought my wife was a bit funny in the head. So I told him that my second son Pratap has to join the school next year he said he has to sit for an entrance test. He did and failed so I told the principal he had to accept him otherwise I will have to take Prabir out and put him in the school where Pratap will be accepted as I haven’t got time to take two boys to two different schools, then hesitantly he admitted Pratap. Next year was worse because Amal was under age for class 1 but they had no nursery school. When I asked him to take Amal who just about knew his alphabet and count to 100. But he insisted he had to sit for the entrance test. I asked him if he does will you take him he said yes. So, we took Amal for the test. Amal came out after the test, I and my wife asked him how he had done. He answered I think I stood 1st because, my wife asked him why do you think you stood first because the Lady with the long dress (a priest in a cassock) was gentle to me and gave me two sweets but all the others got one. Next day a list of successful students was on the board but no Amal Chatterjee. I went and met the principal asked why Amal’s name was not on the list so he turned around and said those who got 80% or more we accept them but Amal got 10% . But you promised to take him if he sat for the test even though I told you he does not know anything. I said look most of the children have been going to another school for two years, but he has never been but the principal said he said when I asked him he said he comes to school every day with his brothers. So, I laughed and said that is true I said that is true he comes to drop Pratap and Prabir to your school every day. I want a deal with you after the 1st semester exam is in three months’ time my wife will prepare him for the exam if he allowed in the class and I will pay the fees for three months in advance and after the 1st exam if he is below 50% of the class I will remove him from the school. So reluctantly he accepted him. After the 1st terminal exam I went and saw the Principal and asked should I take him away from this school? He said you want to take away the 1st boy of the from the school. Due to Prabir’s weakness in Bengali he was always 2nd or 3rd in his class. His Bengali teacher felt sorry for him and in class IV she gave him extra marks result he came 1st in class. So, the boy who always stood first was very upset she came and asked my wife she doesn’t feel upset whe n Prabir doesn’t top the class. My wife answered I don’t think there is any difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd -they are the same standard.

Next year I applied to Goethals Memorial School in Kurseong as I promised the boys at the age of11 years the would be sent to boarding school Goethals didn’t have room in Class VI so they suggested I send him to St Patrick School in Asansol, so he was sent to St Patricks for a year. During the summer holiday. During the summer holiday I went to Asansol to pick him up. On our return to Calcutta by train we were half way back when we heard a commotion in the next compartment, I went to enquire what was wrong in the corridor. I found two young men were standing with the bhojali in their hand, so I told them to put away the bhojali as they might hurt someone. Suddenly a chap of late 20’s came over with a revolver and told me to go back to my seat otherwise he will shoot as they were robbing the passengers’. So, went back to my compartment and told the other passengers what was happening so they could hide their valuable possessions. A little while later the two chaps with the bhojali came to our compartment waving the bhojali and collected the money and came to me last so I told them to put away the bhojali otherwise they will be in trouble so they left me alone and walked off as the train was slowing down due to repair work on the track they jumped off the train. So, I looked out and called railway workers to intercept the dacoity, they pelted stone chips and caught the dacoits. They were handed over to the police.

My wife and children wanted to spend X’ mas in Colombo. I, decided to take them to Sri Lanka during the school holidays. Financially by then I had spent all my savings and my income was not very good. So, we took a second class 3tier train to Madras. From Madras Central to the Sri Lankan Consulate we took a taxi to get our Visa, with a letter from Raja Sethukavelar who was the adviser to the President of Sri Lanka and a close cousin of my wife and his wife Rosemary. She was my wife’s best friend and used to send a lot of clothes for my daughter Deepika . It was about in the morning we got the visa about 8 am because Raja telephoned the consul so we could avail the flight to Colombo on the same day at 11am. Raja came to receive us at the airport to receive us so we didn’t have any hassle at the airport or customs. It was one of the best holidays since we left England. Raja and Rosemary made sure we had a good holiday and spent a lot of our time in their Bungalow in Havelock Town. The children had a good time with Rosemary’s eight dogs one thing Prabir complained about Raja Mamas curry as it was spicy hot. We all went to Kandy to see Temple of the Tooth on the way back we stopped at the Elephant Park where orphan elephants were looked after. I recordered the trip on my cine camera which we still have as Pratap made a copy of it. After returning to Colombo we took my father in laws Driver Velayudham to fascinated to see the ceiling fan was inside the mosquito net. Next stop was Negombo famous for its prawn. Prabir pointed to the board that said battered prawns which was Buttered Prawns, we returned to Colombo. The children wanted to travel back to India by boat, so we took a boat trip from Talaimannar to Rameswaram. From there we took an overnight train to Madras. When we reached, Madras I discovered our reservations on the Calcutta (Howrah) Mail was not confirmed so we had to stay in Madras for the next five days. Fortunately, I had taken an introductory letter for Madras Gymkhana club for our meals as we were staying in Udupi Hotel due to lack of funds which was strictly vegetarian so we only had our breakfast there. Other meals we had in the gymkhana club as I could pay after returning to Calcutta through the Calcutta Club, when we returned to Calcutta. Prabir was accepted in Goethals in Kurseong. At the end of Feburary I booked tickets for Prabir and myself on the Kanchenjunga Express. But for some reason the team was cancelled, I went to Hare street to get a reservation on Darjeeling mail waiting to meet the Railway PRO I met Shakuntala wife of who was schoolmate Shambhoo was working in same office so she got me a single ticket for Prabir. On the same train and compartment I met Mrs Monica Mishra wife of Vnayak an I.A.S. officer who was a year older than Prabir. She asked me who is accompanying Prabir my answer was you because I was only able to get one ticket hearing that Monica called her husband Vinayak to meet me as Iam sending my 11-year-old son on his own to a school and I have never met any of the staff of the school. From that day, Vinayak became a good friend of mine.

Next Saturday Mr Scott Chief of British council invited us for his fair well party as well as introduce me to the new chief Patrick Jackson and his wife Helen in no time Patrick and myself became friends. Every other week we were invited for cocktails and dinner wherever he received some fresh wine. Soon afterwards another Scottish couple Tony and Laura Cassidy took over. Quite often we spent weekends with them and Adi. Later Patrick and Helen took over. After a while Dr Ranjit Panja and Krishna also joined the crowd. Gregoryne became good friends with Krishna who dragged her to Sheiladi’s school so she became Vice-Principal. Though financially we were not well off but socially we were accepted in the high society of Calcutta. It was very difficult for me to maintain the social status but somehow, I managed it.

By then Pratap was ready to join Goethals. And Deepika having joined Loreto House School was also an expensive game. So, every other evening we went to Calcutta club to subdue my worries. Result was people thought financially I am doing very well that is why I go to Calcutta club so regularly se la vie as the French say.

One day we were watching a film in the British council I suddenly fainted with cold sweat so my wife insisted I see a Cardiologist Dr N.B. Das saw me and wanted to admit me in Calcutta Hospital in Alipore and wanted to admit me in Calcutta Hospital in Alipore and wanted to put a pacemaker to stabilize my heart to me it seems very expensive game and not my cup of tea. So, I walked out of the hospital and contacted Adi and Ranjit for advice .

Next day Dr Saibal Sen came with Dr Ranjit Panja and Dr Adi Gazdar .He checked me and took an ECG at the end he asked me to run down to the ground floor from the 2nd floor and return without stopping Ranjit was aghast he thought I had a heart attack for sure. But I followed Dr Sen’s instruction and ran down the stairs and came back and Dr Sen took another ECG after that he lighted a cigarette and told me nothing wrong with my heart. So, I asked him if I can have a smoked for 3 days , he handed me a cigarette and gave me a light. Today 41 one years later my heart is going strong .Since that day Dr Saibal Sen became a fiend and patient of mine and so did all his family members.

Next Feburary Pratap accompanied Prabir and joined Goethals.The Same year Gregoryene took Amal and Deepika during the Puja holidays with Pratima wife of Major Malin Bose a close friend of mine to Sikkim where he was posted On their way back they stopped in Kurseong to meet the boys. The Principal Br Morrow was fond of Prabir and Pratap so he wanted Amal to be admitted to Goethals. So Gregoreyne said we are finding it difficult to pay for two boys so it is not possible to send the third one. But Br Morrow was soe intrigued by the boys tha he said you do not have to pay for the 3rd boy. I didn’t agree and said as soon as Prabir finishes class X I will send Amal but in the end I sent him the year before Prabir finished so the three boys were in the same school .Soon after Aloke my younger Brother left his job in Kakinara Jute mills and joined Jute corporation of India in Calcutta ,so with his wife and son Tito he moved to Calcutta. Rini is the daughter of a well know politician and M.P. Rini and Gregoryne didn’t get on very well so Baba asked me to find another accommodation as he was nervous of the well-known M.P. As usual I lost my temper and moved out of the house within 24 hours to a one room flat belonging to a school friends brother on condition they would let me use the other room when the boys came back for holidays. Life became more difficult .But Luckily Woodlands Nursing home wanted to start a Dental Clinic the Chairman of ICI Mr Mudalia who was a patient of mine and asked me to organise the clinic which I did .Then he asked me to take charge of the clinic so I told him my condition that I will do it part time as a consultant without a salary but 50% of the turn over as my renumeration, he agreed .So I started working there, for the next 25 years I was the Head of the Dental Clinic and Dr Saibal sent by Dr Gopal Das Professor of Dental College also joined the department as my colleague.

We stayed in the flat at Lake terrace for six years the owner wanted back the 2nd room. So we looked around and found a three bedroom flat in Jamir Lan with a terrace so we could invite our friends so life became a bit more pleasant.

All three boys returned to Calcutta and joined St Xaviers college for further studies. Prabir finished his Higher Secondary and applied for medical studies. He was accept Vellore but his exam results were not out so he had to wait for another year before he could join Vellore after sitting for the test for a second time.

In the meantime, Deepika wanted to boarding school, Sr Jones Deepika’s Principal of the Junior School in Loreto House suggested we send her to St Helen’s Convent in Kurseong. She was accepted as the sister of Prabir, Pratap and Amal as they were known as good students especially Prabir was a National school she was allowed to join in Class IX. With Prabir in Medical College and Deepika in boarding my financial position became worse for about two years I could not pay rent for the Surgery. Luckily Mr Bhur was my land lord so fond of me, he stood as guarantor for me with the bank so that I could tomorrow enough money to pay back the rent. Gradually I managed to pay back the bank.

By 1984 Deepika passed her ICSE exam and came back to Calcutta. Prabir also finished his 1st MBBS and came back to Kolkata he wanted a break from exams and wanted to travel around rural India to find out what are the medical needs in the Indian villages as he wanted to be a village doctor. The Director of CMC Vellore that it will cause a problem for his future employment as he will be irregular student during his studies. He was even more surprised that I had no objection and pay for his tour so he wanted to meet me to find out what type of person I am.

The previous summer Pratap finished his High Secondary exams as usual he went around India for about three months which Prabir had done after his H. S. exams. Amal also did the same tour after his H.S exam. While on his India tour Prabir spent about three months in Siddha School of Medicine, which is the South Indian of Ayurveda Medicine. So, that we could treat village people with low cost medicine. Dr Pullimood the director was really pleased with the research paper. He inlater years tried to persuade other students to follow Prabir in his footsteps. Prabir returned to his regular studies after six months and became a Union leader as the Secretary of the Student Union and caused a lot of trouble for the staff and unscrupulous students the director Dr Pulimood nick named him one man Terrorist Gang. And the local Police thought he was Naxal coming from Bengal, wearing Pajama and Punjabi carrying a jhola bag and sporting a beard. End of 1984 he was returning here for X-Mas holidays arriving in Madras he read the newspaper about the gas disaster in Bhopal so he went straight there to help the disaster victims. We had no idea about two weeks later two of his classmates came to my clinic to meet him. So, I said he is not in Calcutta but his classmates said they came to Madras on the same train after that they have not seen him. So, I told them not to tell my wife that he was missing. I will try to find out try to find out where he is gone. As luck, have it few days later another classmate went to the house to ask my wife where Prabir was, she really got worried and telephoned me to ask me whether I heard about Prabir. When I told, her I knew she said I was the most heartless person in the world my guts tell me that nothing is wrong with him and he will be in Calcutta by the 9th as 10th is Pratap’s birthday. Actually, he turned up by 5th and told us about his trip to Bhopal and the work he did there. Next Puja holiday Deepika and both of us went to Vellore Prabir arranged a lunch for Mahashtami the 3rd of the Puja also organised a Bijoy Dasami celebration with the help of a Bengali Muslim from Dacca. Later I met who was really surprised to meet us he was under the impression Prabir was a village boy and did not realise that he came from a very Westernized family like ours. Deepika stayed in the girls hostel as most of Prabir’s classmates wanted Deepika to share their room, so she slept in different rooms every night. Gregoryne and Deepika went to Bangalore with Prabir and went on to Mysore. I stayed back in Vellore and spent time meeting Prabirs teachers who invited me to their houses in the evenings.

By the time, we came back to Calcutta Pratap was preparing for his BSC final exam on the 5th of December. He finished his exam and on the 6th December ’85 left for the UK after publishing his book of Poems. He was also the editor of English Academy Magazine so I suggested while in England he should study Journalism with a bit of difficulty he managed to get admission for a postgraduate study in Journalism in London. While studying for Journalism one of his articles was Published in the front page of Financial Times which was the first time for any Indian Journalist so he was welcomed in Fleet street by the same evening. Next opportunity came he was selected by the editor of the Independent to represent them in Geneva for a GATT International conference of commerce.

In the meantime, Amal finished his English Honours so he decided to go to UK I suggested he writes his thesis on his future studies and send it to Oxford and Cambridge. He was accepted in Oxford for PHD but before they wanted him to do a year in undergraduate as he did his graduation from then only he would be allegeable for a scholarship. Amal refused to repeat the graduation. In the end, Canterbury University accepted him for research M.A. I had to find enough funds for his studies. I took a risk and sent him as didn’t want him to lose the opportunity. So, with the help of some friends and the Bank I managed it with difficulty. Therefore, I was back with a big debt. Fortunately, Prabir had finished his MBBS and was now I did not have to pay for his studies while struggling with my financial problems. One of my old patients Daddy Mazda was admitted to Woodlands Hospital so his wife came and told me that Daddy wants to see me as he is bedridden. When I visited him Prabir had passed his MBBS Pratap was studying Journalism in London and Amal had just joined Canterbury University .He sat up in bed and asked his wife Meher to bring his cheque book and write a cheque for one and half lacs so I am not short of money while the boys are studying in the UK .I refused on Principle and said if I ever need it I will come and ask him first which I never had to do.In the meantime Pratap went to America for a London based newspaper to do an article on Asians living in America . While he was in New York who was a student of New school of Social Sciences .He met the Dean of the faculty who was impressed and offered a scholarship to study Environmental Economics, in 1988 he went to America . So, I decided visit UK and America as I had a complementary ticket from Air India as a consultant of Air India every two years.

I met Amal in Canterbury and met his Professor and his wife, he was very Impressed by talking to me we chatted till midnight or rather 2 o’clock in the night. Amal told him later it is very difficult for me to support him for two years, so if he could submit his thesis he will do so. His Professor agreed on condition he will not receive his M.A degree till the following degree till the following year. Amal finished the Thesis in nine months this Professor asked how is he going to support himself so he said he would take any odd job. But the Professor offered him a job as a lecturer in English in Spain till he gets his M.A

After visiting Amal I went to New York to meet Pratap, he was sharing his house with three other students. They were all studying in New York but staying in New Jersey as New York was very expensive. One Italian, one Icelander called Birgit whose knowledge was very limited and difficult to understand the other student was American. Next morning I went with Pratap to his college sitting in the coffee room where there were a number of small tables like coffee house in Calcutta. I sat with some friends of Pratap. Next table a group of students discussing about a student whether he is from Oxford or Cambridge. Suddenly one girl looked at me and said that elderly man looks like Pratap why don’t you ask him so one student came to our table and asked me if I was his father I said yes. She asked me where did he study before came here and he learnt his English accent from his mother who is a Tamilian.

I spent most of my holidays sight-seeing in New York city including Twin Towers on the top floor, they had binoculars for visitors to have a bird’s eye view of New York which was really fascinating after week I went to Delaware to meet my nephew Bachchu who was working for Du Pont. In the morning Bachchu and wife both went to work at 7am, Bachchu promised to return by lunch time. I got tired of watching by 9am.so decided to take a walk around the place. I saw all the houses were locked and not a soul around except dogs and cats. After half an hour, I started my return to Bachchu’s house. After some time, someone knocked me on me on the back I looked back it was a dog a big Irish setter. So, I stopped and said what do you want he went back and brought an empty can in his mouth. So, I took it from him and threw it at a distance, he brought it back to me next minute another dog joined the game in no time I had four or five dogs running behind me with their toys. So, I decided to go back to the house and close the door. Next day Bachchu took me to Washington to the museums and White House. We stopped at the front gate, suddenly an American fellow came to me and asked to spare a dollar. I laughed my head off and said I come from the poorest country of the world and you a citizen of the richest country of the World asking for alms. Next day Sunday Bachchu had a get together in their house all Indians and every Sunday they do it amongst themselves one house or the other within 40 to 50 miles’ radius. But they do not mix very well with their neighbours whether they are black or white. They stick with the Indian community, I felt very uncomfortable and was glad to be back with Pratap and his friends house. Then I returned to London and stayed with my sister in law Jeanne to meet my old friends and also some of Pratap’s old classmates from London. After a week, I returned to Calcutta Back to the grind stone. Following week Saturday I went to meet Deepika in Santiniketan as I did once a month. Deepika joined Visva Bharati to do here degree in fine arts in 1985. She specialized in Sculpture as her honours subject. In 1988 DD Bangla did a programme on Tagore’s women Deepika was included in the program. It was pleasant surprise to see her on TV I met most of her teachers who were also very pleased with the program. Deepika finished her graduation in 1990 and decided to go to the UK for further studies. Gregoryne also with her to have a short holiday in UK and stayed with her sister Jeanne. She also arranged for Deepika to same in the same hostel she stayed during her student days 1958.Deepika came back to Calcutta after a year and worked in Calcutta for a year. Next year during the summer Gregoryne with Leo and Francoise Jalais went Uttarkashi . There Deepika met a Parsi lady who was running an Ashram. When she returned she chucked up her teaching job to work in a she got a job in Sofia college in Bombay. After a year she joined the Ashram in Jaiharikhal within a year she was so fed up with help I persuaded her to come back to Calcutta. Later that year I was going to the UK to meet Amal and Pratap Deepika also decided to return to the UK to meet do an M.A in England it took time so she started working as a nursing assistant. By this time Amal got a lectureship with his MA in Glasgow University and also a research fellowship for M.Litt .I visited Amal in Glasgow and one day I decided to visit my old school in Edinburgh as it was only 40 miles away. I found a lot of change so I asked at the desk if I could go around the hospital. So, the receptionist asked me why I wanted to visit the hospital. I said I did my post graduate there, she wanted to know when, I told her in 1956-57 about 32 years ago, she thought it was fantastic that still moving around and Practising. On my return to London I met Harekrishna my old classmate from Calcutta also Suren Bhatia and K.P.Mukherjee.I realised that though they live within a stone’s throw of each other they had not met each other since 1969.HareKrishna and wife Bharati insisted I stay with them overnight .They also invited Deepika for lunch on Sunday.We returned to Jeanne’s placeon Sunday evening.Bhatrati became very fond of Deepika and wanted her to stay with them. Deepika refused as she wanted her freedom from restrictions of a guardian. But she was willing to visit them at some weekends they were very happy. As I had two weeks left .I went to Brussels to meet Pascalino and Chris Jannelli .Pascalino was the director of EEC and I spent some time with them and returned to London for a few days and came back to London.

Next week I returned to Calcutta to my Normal routine in Woodlands Nursing home lunch time adda in Calcutta club and some light lunch. From 3 to 6pm at my clinic in Harrington. Gregoryne felt Prabir should be married off as he needs someone to look after him as he wasn’t capable of looking after himself properly. So, we started looking around at the end through a social worker friend of Gregoryne we met Sumona Ghosh a north Calcutta girl and a school teacher. She lost her father as a child and was not very well off. I had no objections as I was not bothered about her financial condition only interested a decent looking and educated .December ’95 Prabir was married Amal Pratap Deepika and Susan Amal’s wife came. Amal had already married Susan in Glasgow where Amal was teaching and Susan was doing here M.A in English she is Dutch .We decided to have a Reception in our house in Santiniketan ,we invited friends and relatives and rented a guest house near our house Probashi. We also had another reception in Calcutta for uor friends and close relatives. Soon after that Prabir went to Vellore for a Seminar after the Seminar the Director of Vellor CMC got Prabir to sit for an entrance test for M.D. as M.D. was necessary for his future carrier.He made him join Vellore for his M.D ;in the long run it was worth it today he is the Director of Health services for Chattisghar State. Piyali .While he was studying for his M.D.in Vellore his daughter Piyali was born so we became grand parents in 1998. After finishing his M.D. he joined W.H. O in Bihar. After a while he resigned from there because of W.H. O lacked attitude to the health work. Luckily UNICEF Calcutta office discovered he had resigned from an NGO so they invited him to join UNICEF as a consultant. He agreed on condition he work in a rural area not in the city .He worked with UNICEF till he joined as Director of Health Services in 2014.

In 1999 Deepika went back to do her Main England it took a bit of time to get admission .So she worked as a sales girls or cashier in a Departmental stores. After working for Some time she was accepted in Leeds University for a Research M.A. for two years.

In 2000 I decided to visit UK as Susan and Amal had a baby girl called Sonali in Glasgow and Deepika was working In London. Also, Pratap planned to visit UK as he was a Managing Editor of Corp watch and was travelling around the world quite often. So, we met in London and travelled together to Glasgow. As, Amal was a Lecturer in Glasgow University.

In 2002 I visited California to attend the Convocation of Pratap M.A. in Fine arts and spent a month with him. In 2003 we decided to spend Christmas in Colombo with the whole family, i.e. all the children and grand-children and spent a month in Colombo and visited Jaffna. On my return to Calcutta I started to reduce my practices by 2010 I stopped working as my right eye was having a lot of trouble, also Gregoryne was having lot of trouble with her knees she need to have knee replacement . Deepika returned to Calcutta in 2012 to help us. By 2014 September we decided to settle in Santiniketan. Unfortunately, Gregoryne fell down infront of his house and brokeher hip bone. Result we were really house bound by June 2016 she passed away.

Now Iam waiting for my last day it reminds me of a Bengali poem “Hari din to gelo sandhya holo, par koro amarey tumi parer karta jenai ebarta ami daki tomare”

The meaning in English ‘Oh Lord help me on my final journey across you are the path finder so Iam calling you to hear the news.’

I recorded the diary in English for the benefit of my grand-children as they all understand English .But I like to add my background is Bengali our Chatterjee clan started during rule of Ballal Sen on the 15th century .Five Brahmin teachers from Kanuj was brought to Bengal to Bengal to improve Sanskrit education. They are Mukhopadhya, Bandopadhya, Chattopadhya, Gangophadhya and Bhattacharya. Maharshi Kashab . Whose decedents are called Chattophadhya later the English re named them Chatterjee. Iam the 30th generation of Chatterjee my fore fathers were mostly teachers though sometimes we deviated from teaching but again and again took up teaching as a profession.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment